We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Waterbury, the seat of New Haven County, is situated on the Naugatuck River, 21 miles from New Haven. It has been called the "Brass Center of the World."Waterbury was purchased from the Indians by residents of Farmington in 1674. It was chartered as a city in 1853; in 1901, city and town were consolidated.Waterbury became famous in the 19th century for the manufacture of brass items. The Waterbury Mint, owned by the Scovill Manufacturing Company,produced planchets (blanks for coins), which the U.S. Mint used to produce coins for an assortment of foreign countries.In 1878, the Waterbury Watch Company was organized for the explicit purpose of producing cheap watches. A visit to Timexpo provides a look into a century and a half of watch making in Waterbury.Waterbury's two hospitals are Waterbury Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital. Mary's was laid in 1907 and the hospital was dedicated two years later. Mary's of Chambery.Post College, a regional business college, was founded in 1890. The University ofConnecticut has operated a campus in Waterbury for about half a century.The Railroad Museum of New England operates the Naugatuck Railroad between Thomaston and Waterbury. The Golden Age of Trucking Museum displays exhibits from the history of trucking,with an emphasis on the 1950's. The Mattatuck Museum, located on the Green in central Waterbury, provides highlights from Waterbury's three centuries of history.