The story

Ernest Shepherd

Ernest Shepherd

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ernest Shepherd was born in 1871. His mother died soon after he was born and then his father committed suicide. Ernest and his brother, Fritz, and his two sisters, Gertrude and Daisy, were brought up by his mother's unmarried sister, Zoë Sinclair.

The family lived at 3 Warwick Square, London. Ernest was educated at Clifton College where he became friends with Henry Mayor, the son of Reverand Joseph Bickersteth Mayor and Alexandrina Jessie. In time, Henry introduced Ernest to Flora Mayor.

Shepherd became an architect. He also had a strong interest in music and art. Sybil Oldfield, the author of Spinsters of this Parish (1984), pointed out: "Ernest Shepherd was a tall, thin, very gentleman-like man, with a kind, humorous brown eyes hidden behind glasses, a drooping moustache and an immense capacity for caring about other people's feelings."

Flora Mayor introduced Shepherd to Mary Sheepshanks. As a result he volunteered to teach students at her Morley College for Working Men and Women. Shepherd was a great success at the college: "His enthusiasm for church architecture and for conducting student excursions to local landmarks - in fact for every kind of antiquity - was infectious."

On 23rd June, 1900, Shepherd, Flora Mayor, Mary Sheepshanks and Frank Earp went to Queensgate House together. Flora wrote in her diary: "Mary Sheepshanks came to lunch looking very pretty. We met Ernest and Frank Earp and went on the river, most successful and most cheerful tea. Ernest was very lively, possibly owing to Mary. Mary talked a good deal about Mr. Fountain's engagement."

Ernest Shepherd became very fond of Flora Mayor, who at that time was working on her first novel, Mrs Hammond's Children. He praised it and encouraged her to send it to a publisher. Flora's novel was nearly completed when she was employed by the Benson Shakespearian Company at the Lyric Theatre, in December 1900. Flora received no pay for the first six weeks, then 15 shillings a week thereafter. Over the next few months she had small parts in The Taming of the Shrew and The Merchant of Venice. Flora was disturbed by the behaviour of some male members of the company. She wrote in her diary: "There is a great deal more pawing and squeezing from the managers than one is used to."

Ernest Shepherd came to see her in the plays. She wrote in her diary: "Ernest was so very nice. He is such a good friend, so awfully sympathetic. He said several times how lucky Benson was to have me." However, when the season came to an end, Flora was not retained. Flora Mayor returned to her novel writing. When it was finished she sent it to a publisher. It was rejected as not "being suitable neither for children nor for adults". Other publishers took a similar view but it was eventually accepted by a small firm called Johnson. Mrs Hammond's Children was brought out in September 1901 but it was ignored by the reviewers and sold very few copies.

Shepherd had fallen in love with Flora Mayor but he was not earning enough money as an architect to marry her. In March 1903, Ernest took a well-paying post as part of the Architectural Survey of India. He then proposed to Flora. At first she hesitated because she did not want to be separated from her family. She wrote to her twin sister, Alice: "I don't like the thought of India... what am I to do without you?" Flora also suspected that Ernest was really in love with Mary Sheepshanks. This he denied and eventually she agreed to marry him.

Under instructions from Flora, Shepherd went to see Mary. That night he wrote to Flora: "I called on Mary Sheepshanks today and told her about ourselves; you know I said I should... Of course I did not expect her to care one way or the other and I don't think she did; but she spoke very nicely, and was pleased that I had come to tell her; so though it was very awkward, embarrassing and hateful I am very glad I did it."

In April 1903, Shepherd left for India and Flora Mayor agreed to travel to the country to get married later that year. He wrote to Flora on 11th July complaining about his colleagues: "The men are unutterably dull - they never talk of anything but sport and bridge; and are intensely competitive about tennis... I don't know anybody - never shall know anybody as far as I can see; everyone is so exceedingly reserved." However, he did grow to love the country. On 2nd August he wrote: "I believe I am getting to like India - The lovely bright sun and clear air, the beautiful views of the country through the arches of the mosque quadrangle." In their letters they made arrangements to get married in Bombay.

In October, 1903, Ernest Shepherd was taken ill and he was sent to hospital in Simla. He wrote to Flora on 7th of that month: "Don't be alarmed at this address... When I went to see the Doctor on Monday he said I wasn't getting on a bit and looked the picture of misery - which I thought a gross libel - and therefore I'd better go into hospital and take vigorous measures to get well, which seemed sensible."

Ernest Shepherd died on 22nd October, 1903. He had been suffering not only from malaria but also from an undiagnosed acute enteric disorder. Flora later recalled that the telegram said: "Deeply regret Mr Shepherd died yesterday, funeral today." In her diary she wrote: "I read it over and over but it really didn't convey anything."

A few days later Flora Mayor received a letter from Fanny Fawcett, the woman who nursed him in Simla, enclosing a lock of Ernest's hair: "He (Ernest Shepherd) was conscious up to the last, but very, very weak of course. Just at the end I asked him if he had any message for you, and he said Tell her I have never forgotten her, and his last words were Best Beloved. I send you some of his hair which we cut off for you. He looked so peaceful and he was taken to his last resting-place surrounded by friends and exquisite flowers. Forgive a complete stranger saying so, but oh! his love for you was so true and ever-present with him, and I want you to feel this and to know his last thoughts were yours."

Flora kept a grief journal where she carried out a conversation with Ernest. The final entry was nine years later: "It is just ten years ago since our engagement. I am forty. You seem so young, thirty-one. I always love best your letter to Alice and the one about Alice to me. Help me if you can to cure my faults and make me more tender, you are so much much more unselfish. Each year brings us nearer."

I was too ill to think properly but I managed to send the wire off telling him (Ernest Shepherd) to come. It did not strike me first what the probable meaning was. When it did I tried to put it out of my head...

I had hardly come back to these dismal Macclesfield lodgings when Ernest came... and from his extreme nervousness and stammerings and his looking so awfully ill I felt sure what was up. I said would he come out and have tea at a hotel, our lodgings were so horrid. As soon as we got outside he began.

"Do you think I look different."

I said "I think you look ill."

Then he told me of India and he said "Now you must know what I want to say?"

I said "no I didn't."

Then with much stammering he said, would I go with him?

I said "Yes, I think I should". And then immediately afterwards felt I couldn't. I said I did not know if I could leave you. He is as nice as can be. If I don't like the thought of India I am to stop in England and he will come over but that would be too unfair. Still, what am I to do without you?... I don't think I feel in love, in fact it is all so horribly oppressive and exciting... I do feel giving up the Stage awfully, I suppose you can't understand it... Being kissed is so odd.

Anything more vapid, futile and insipid than Hill Station Society it is impossible to conceive. We had a gorgeous picnic - lobster and champagne, woman dressed up to the nines of course. At first we talked more or less sensibly; but after two or three hours it degenerated hopelessly: we had to hold hands and guess thoughts and do everything that from the depth of my soul I most deeply abhor... The men are unutterably dull - they never talk of anything but sport and bridge; and are intensely competitive about tennis... I don't know anybody - never shall know anybody as far as I can see; everyone is so exceedingly reserved.

Don't be alarmed at this address... When I went to see the Doctor on Monday he said I wasn't getting on a bit and looked the picture of misery - which I thought a gross libel - and therefore I'd better go into hospital and take vigorous measures to get well, which seemed sensible.

Then about 4 o'clock Mother came in and said she wanted to say something to me... Mother said: Did I feel well? She said it very tenderly and I saw she was crying. I thought she was overcome thinking of India. I said, "Yes darling, quite well." Then I seemed to know there was something. I said: "Is there any bad news? Is it about Ernest" Mother showed me Mr Marshall's telegram: "Regret to say Mr Shepherd's condition very critical. Please inform Miss Mayor."

My dear, dearest, I have just got Mr Marshall's telegram telling me about you. I feel in a maze and can't think of anything. Darling if God spares you to me I shall come out at once, for you must not be alone. My own darling I must tell you how I love you, and I can't find any words. Then I think of your love for me and of our goodbye in Warwick Square and my last sight of you at Dover. In your last letter you said I was not to "absent me from felicity". I did not feel anxious only sorry for the dull time for you. And now all this three weeks I don't know what has been happening. Have you been all the while keeping back from me how ill you were? If I knew what it was, I might bear it better. Oh this horrible India.

It's no good darling, I can't write a long letter till I know more. Only you don't know how I wish I was out with you and doing something for you, and here I can do nothing and know absolutely nothing... Goodbye dear darling, God be with you and take care of you.

I kept turning over those words "very critical" wondering what ray of hope could be got from them and how I did pray all that long long day...

In the morning, Friday, the 23rd there was no more news and I began to hope a little. I thought I would go out to India that evening if I could... I went up at once to Warwick Square. As I got near I thought they might have a message and the blinds might be down. I was relieved beyond measure that they were up. Gertrude opened the door. I said was there any news? She said "No", and I felt so relieved. I began crying rather hysterically and I think we got more cheerful together. Then there was a ring. Gertrude went to the door. I heard a boy saying "Telegram for Miss Sinclair". Gertrude took it. Of course we both guessed. The one hope had been there would be no wire. She opened it, looked at it, and nodded to me. She couldn't speak. We went into the library. I sat down on the sofa and she knelt by me just saying over and over again sobbing, "My darling, my darling"... I was quite blank and dazed... Marshall's telegram said: "Deeply regret Mr Shepherd died yesterday, funeral today." I read it over and over but it really didn't convey anything... I don't know how long we stayed in the Library. Daisy came in and Gertrude told her and then Auntie. She went upstairs alone first of all, then she came down crying rather hysterically. She said "Poor child, this is cruel, it's cruel." Then Mother and Alice came. Gertrude went out and told them. I heard Mother's exclamation of horror. Then I went out. Alice said "You must let us comfort you." I don't know what I felt - miles away from everything I think. We went back - oh it was such a radiant Autumn day.

Alice and I came upstairs and Mother told Father. He knocked at our door and Alice said to me "Here's Father!" He came up and kissed me very tenderly. I don't know how the afternoon passed. Robin was coming in the evening and I wanted to tell him myself... When he came he said "What is it Flora?" I said: "I've got something to tell you. Ernest is dead". He turned away and I said "You must comfort me." He came back and seized me in his arms and carried me somehow to the sofa. Then he kept saying "Oh Flora, oh my dear Flora". I was so much touched, so very much for... he is cold and reserved and I thought the coldness was growing.

He (Ernest Shepherd) was conscious up to the last, but very, very weak of course. Just at the end I asked him if he had any message for you, and he said "Tell her I have never forgotten her", and his last words were "Best Beloved". Forgive a complete stranger saying so, but oh! his love for you was so true and ever-present with him, and I want you to feel this and to know his last thoughts were yours.... remember your tender kind folks about you, who have loved you all your days and put that decent outward face upon it which will be a little consoling to them and in the end help you.

The Groveland Four (1949)

The Groveland Four case was a 1940s example of injustice toward young African American men falsely accused of raping white women. The Groveland Four were four young black men, Ernest Thomas, Charles Greenlee, Samuel Shepherd and Walter Irvin, who were accused of raping Norma Padgett, a 17-year-old white woman on July 16, 1949, in Lake County, Florida. Thomas was killed by Sheriff Willis McCall on July 26, 1949, during the search for the four while Irvin, Shepherd, and Greenlee were arrested.

Much of the early life of the Groveland Four is unknown. Ernest Thomas was married to Ruby Lee Jones. Charles Greenlee first arrived in Lake County, Florida in July 1949. Thomas had convinced Greenlee that he could find work in the county. Samuel Shepherd was a World War II veteran and the son of a prosperous local black farmer. Walter Irvin was also a World War II veteran.

On July 16, 1949, Thomas, Greenlee, Shepherd, and Irvin were accused of kidnapping and raping Norma Padgett and assaulting her husband Willie Padgett. According to her husband, their car broke down after the couple left a dance. Padgett claimed that the four black men stopped to offer them assistance but instead assaulted him and kidnapped his wife. After a manhunt, Greenlee, Shepherd, and Irvin were arrested and taken to Lake County jail, where they were tortured. Thomas avoided capture for a week, but he was killed by Lake County Sheriff Willis McCall.

The following day, as news spread around Lake County about the rape, a mob of more than 100 men gathered at the jail demanding that Greenlee, Shepherd, and Irvin be released to them. Sheriff McCall told the mob that the three had already been transferred to a state penitentiary, when in fact they were still in the Lake County Jail. The mob then vented its anger on the small Groveland African American community, shooting residents and setting fire to homes. Some whites, however, helped blacks escape the violence around the area. Meanwhile Greenlee, Shepherd, and Irvin were tried. Although medical evidence did not show signs of Padgett being raped, an all-white jury found the three men guilty. Shepherd and Irvin received the death penalty, while Greenlee received life in prison.

The U.S. Supreme Court later tossed out the three convictions, forcing a retrial in November 1951. As the three were being transported back to Lake County, Florida from the state penitentiary, Sheriff McCall shot and killed Shepherd and seriously wounded Irvin. Irvin’s retrial on November 13, 1952 resulted in another guilty verdict and death sentence from an all-white jury. In 1955, his sentence was reduced to life in prison by Florida Governor LeRoy Collins.

Walter Irvin was released from the state penitentiary in 1968 but died a year later from a heart attack. He was 39 years old. Charles Greenlee, the last surviving member of the Groveland Four, was released on parole in 1962 and moved to Nashville, Tennessee. He died on April 18, 2012. at 78 years old. In 2017, the state issued an apology to the families of the Greenland Four. All four men were posthumously pardoned on January 11, 2019 by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

Is Greyhound based on a true story?

In short, no. As the film’s trailer states, Greyhound is “inspired by,” rather than directly based on, actual events. Hanks, who stars as United States Navy Commander Ernest Krause, adapted the screenplay from C.S. Forester’s 1955 novel, The Good Shepherd (not to be confused with the 2006 film The Good Shepherd about the founding of the CIA). Though fictional, the Forester book is deeply researched and noted for its accurate depiction of naval warfare.

Set in the winter of 1942, Greyhound—a nod to the nickname of the U.S.S. Keeling, a destroyer under Krause’s command—features Hanks as a newly promoted officer tasked with leading his first transatlantic convoy through a swath of water known as the “Black Pit.” Per the movie’s official description, Krause must protect his fleet from Nazi U-boats over a five-day period without air cover. In true cinematic fashion, the captain ultimately battles not only a military enemy, but his own personal demons and self-doubt.

“What you did yesterday got us to today,” a crew member tells Krause in the trailer.

“It’s not enough,” The captain replies. “Not nearly enough.”

Hanks portrays a newly promoted captain tasked with leading a convoy across the Atlantic. (Sony Pictures)

Shepherd, Alfred Ernest (Ernie) (1901–1958)

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 16, (MUP), 2002

Alfred Ernest (Ernie) Shepherd (1901-1958), community leader and politician, was born on 6 January 1901 at Bendigo, Victoria, eldest of eight children of Victorian-born parents Alfred Shepherd, miner, and his wife Rebecca Josephine, née Neilson, both active Presbyterians. Leaving Violet Street State School at the age of 14 to help support his family, Ernie worked for Robert Harper & Co., and studied maths and carpentry at night at the Bendigo School of Mines. He joined the Labor Party, became secretary of the Newsboys' Union (to secure a pay rise for fellow paper-boys) and supplemented his income by driving for political candidates, including Tom Tunnecliffe. In 1916 he went to Melbourne, lived with an aunt at Footscray and attended anti-conscription meetings. At 17 he began an apprenticeship as a pattern-maker in the Victorian Railways' workshops at Newport.

An enthusiastic sportsman, Shepherd swam and dived competitively, and played football with the Footscray and North Melbourne second XVIIIs. He was honorary secretary of the Footscray Swimming Club (1918-30), Footscray Football Club (1930) and Footscray District Football League (1933-45). In addition, he was a Victorian Football League umpire (for matches in the second division), and a judge and registrar of the Victorian Amateur Swimming Association. The F.F.C., F.D.F.L. and Victorian Football Union were to award him life memberships. At Ballarat East on 9 April 1927 he married with Presbyterian forms Beatrice Vera Hancock, a dressmaker. By 1929 they had their own home at Footscray. The nearby St Andrew's Presbyterian Church became the family's place of worship.

This leading-hand pattern-maker, staunch member of the Amalgamated Engineering Union, indefatigable secretary, and family man, emerged as 'Labor's trump card' at the 1943 Footscray municipal election: 'The most prosperous city was that with the greatest number of contented individuals', Shepherd declared, 'and Labor stood for making the home life all that it should be'. He served five terms (mayor 1948-49) before retiring from the council in 1955 with an unrivalled reputation for assiduous attention to residents' concerns. A strong supporter of home-ownership as a stabilizing social and political influence, he was made a director (from 1945) of four district co-operative housing societies. He befriended and praised businessmen who lived in and contributed to the community from which they made their money he supported postwar immigration, but drew attention to overcrowded schools and the housing shortage and he worked hard to establish youth clubs and elderly citizens' centres.

A non-smoker and teetotaller whose recreations were gardening and reading, Shepherd never owned a car, preferring to cycle, walk or use public transport. His plain style of living, approachability and network of friends stood him in good stead, and helped him to win the seat of Sunshine in the Legislative Assembly in 1945. Redistributions saw him move to the seats of Ascot Vale (1955) and Footscray (1958). He proved a tireless local member, renowned for innumerable silent acts of generosity. John Cain, the leader of the Australian Labor Party, groomed him as his successor and allocated him the education portfolio when Labor won government in December 1952. A hard-working minister, he revitalized his department's building programme, travelling widely to open new classrooms and schools, and to assess local needs. He retained the portfolio when Cain reorganized the government in March 1955, following the split in the A.L.P. 'No country could be over-run by Communism', Shepherd said while campaigning for the general election in May, 'if the people could be given a high standard of education, decent living conditions, an impartial press and the opportunity of home ownership'. His wife broadcast with him on radio-station 3KZ, extolling the government's progressive education policy.

The election result consigned Labor to Opposition. L. W. Galvin lost his seat and Shepherd succeeded him as deputy-leader. Although he deplored sectarianism, lamented the split and was devastated by the fracturing of lifelong friendships, his relations with local right-wingers remained cordial. On Cain's death in August 1957, Shepherd was unanimously elected leader. Opening Labor's 1958 election campaign at Footscray, he announced a 'family first' platform, promising improved employment, housing and schools. He repudiated attempts to link his party with communism and ascribed the A.L.P.'s defeat to the 'unity ticket' of the Democratic Labor Party and the Liberal and Country Party. While opening a youth centre in his electorate, he died suddenly of myocardial infarction on 12 September 1958 at West Footscray. He was accorded a state funeral and was cremated. His wife and their two daughters survived him.

Stockily built, quietly spoken, bespectacled and well groomed, 'Shep' was a disarmingly fair-minded Labor man propelled to party leadership in turbulent times. He earned considerable respect as a committeeman, a councillor, and a parliamentarian dedicated to the interests and welfare of the common man and the family. A staunch Empire loyalist who upheld the monarchy, Australia Day and the Anzac spirit, he was seen as an asset to a party accused of leftist extremism. He was a home-loving man whose parliamentary and ministerial duties undermined his uncertain health. An education trust, a bridge over the Maribyrnong River, a memorial garden at Maidstone and a reserve at Footscray Park were named after him.

Select Bibliography

  • K. White, John Cain and Victorian Labor 1917-1957 (Syd, 1982)
  • J. Lack, A History of Footscray (Melb, 1991)
  • Parliamentary Debates (Victoria), 10 Sept 1958, p 407
  • City of Footscray, Mayoral Report, 1948-49
  • Footscray Advertiser, 21 Aug, 11 Sept 1943, 6, 20 May, 15 July 1955, 8 Aug 1957, 18 Sept 1958, 21 May 1959
  • Age (Melbourne), 21 Aug 1957, 3 May, 13, 15, 17 Sept 1958
  • private information.

Related Entries in NCB Sites

Citation details

John Lack, 'Shepherd, Alfred Ernest (Ernie) (1901–1958)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, published first in hardcopy 2002, accessed online 1 July 2021.

This article was first published in hardcopy in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 16, (MUP), 2002

The Lord is my shepherd : a history of the seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2019-07-31 04:21:40 Associated-names Graham, Lorine Graham, Malcolm Canadian Union Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist Church Bookplateleaf 0004 Boxid IA1393003 Camera Sony Alpha-A6300 (Control) Collection_set trent External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1150224691 Foldoutcount 0 Grant_report Arcadia Identifier lordismyshepherd0000mont Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t6vx8587k Invoice 1853 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR) Old_pallet IA13916 Openlibrary_edition OL26554716M Openlibrary_work OL17962538W Pages 296 Ppi 300 Republisher_date 20190802135307 Republisher_operator [email protected] Republisher_time 336 Scandate 20190731055746 Scanner Scanningcenter cebu Scribe3_search_catalog trent Scribe3_search_id 0116401289651 Tts_version 2.1-final-6-g58a4a27

Is The Ending Of Greyhound Really A Happy Ending

On the surface, Greyhound ends on a rousing note, with Tom Hanks’ Captain Ernest Krause and his crew surviving the dangers of their transatlantic crossing. If you leave it at that, it’s a standard happy ending, and you can walk off happy. However, the devil is once again in the details, as this narrative is bookended by title cards that set the scene for one crucial piece of context: the USS Keeling may have won the battle, but it’s just the beginning of the war.

Taking place in February 1942, Greyhound happens towards the beginning of U.S. involvement in World War II. As such, there’s plenty of war ahead for the crew of the Keeling, and knowing how dangerous their duties depicted in the film were, there’s a good chance their losses won’t end there. The clincher is the fact that the thought of Evelyn at the end of Greyhound, and remembering her plea to wait until they can truly be together, takes on a new light when considering The Good Shepherd. Even if Ernest makes it out of the war alive, his sweetheart isn’t guaranteed to be there waiting for him.

Greyhound’s ending is ultimately something that’s up to the audience to decide on whether or not it’s a bittersweet triumph or a celebration of resilience and fortitude. The case can be made for both, depending on whether you want to take into account the literary source material. While aspects from The Good Shepherd are omitted to a certain degree, the influence is still there. If you want to give the film another look, or if you’ve read through this rundown on Greyhound’s ending without seeing it for yourself, you can currently stream the film

Welcome To The Official Website of Ernestine Shepherd

Ernestine Shepherd is in better shape than most people, decades her junior. Up at 3 a.m. every morning, she spends her days running, lifting weights and working out . She also works as a certified personal trainer at her gym.

Feeling better than she did at 40,”Bodybuilding champion Ernestine Shepherd shows us that “being out of shape” as we age truly is merely an option — NOT a mandate! She is a role model not just for senior women everywhere, but for every one of us. .

Inspired by Sylvester Stallone she is a die-hard “Rocky” fan, and fan of Michelle Obama . Sylvester Stallone ” is my man, and I would love to meet him one day” she said -She is also looking for an excuse to meet First Lady Michelle Ob ama and help her with her work on controlling obesity, who she calls “so beautiful, inside and out”. She feels they are on the same mission and should combine their work.

George Ernest Hammond

George was born on 18 th June 1885 in Shepherdswell, to George and Mary Ann (née Tickner). He was their third child and first son. In the 1891 Census he is shown living with his parents, older sister Edith and three younger brothers at Botolph Street, Shepherdswell, next door to his grandparents.

By the 1901 Census, the family was shown as living at Railway Close, Shepherdswell but George had already left home by this point. It has not proved possible to find him to date in that Census, however in 1911, he was living at 22 Preston Street, Faversham as a boarder, and was employed as a gardener.

When George enlisted on the 24 th August 1914 at Dover, he gave his age as 26 and said that he was born in 1888 in Shepherdswell. His residence was given as 5 Hillside, Shepherdswell and he was employed by Mr Hyde of Zetland, Deal as a chauffeur. His next of kin was given as his father, so all of the details except those of his age tally with the other records that have been found for him. His service no. was 1478 and he was in the 3 rd Home Counties (CP) Brigade, 9 th Provisional Ammunition Column, as a gunner. He was 5’8” tall, with blue eyes, dark hair, and a dark complexion. He was discharged from here because of “his being called up under the Military Service Act 1916”, although to date it is not clear which regiment he moved on to.

During his time with the Provisional Ammunition Column he had three recorded disciplinary offences on one occasion he was absent from parade, on another he overstayed his pass and the final recorded episode showed that he disobeyed an order. He was “admonished” for all three.

Following the War, George married Ella Prebble on 19 th June 1920 at Holy Innocents Church in Adisham by licence. He gave his parish as Shepherdswell and was working as a haulage contractor.

The 1939 Register gives his occupation as a chauffeur and handyman, living at Moat Cottage, Ashford Road, West Ashford Rural District, with his wife and three children. He was also a special constable.

He died on the 10 th October 1964 at St Augustine’s Hospital, Chartham, although his home address was given as Hamella, Pett Lane, Charing near Ashford.

Ernest Shepherd - History

5th October 1860
1920 (None)
29th April 1934
Salina, Sevier County
Utah, USA

31st December 1866
Utah County
Utah, USA
18th December 1951
Sevier County
Utah, USA

born about
23rd October
Sevier County
Utah, USA
28th October
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake County
Utah, USA

3rd June
Sevier County
Utah, USA
29th September
Sevier County
Utah, USA
11th January 1969
Sevier County
Utah, USA

20th October
Sevier County Utah, USA
28th October
Minidoka County
Idaho, USA

The idea of these charts is to give the information that we have found in the research we have done and put together and with the help of many other people who have contacted us over the past thirty odd years we have been researching our family. The idea is that you click on the Chart box in blue to be taken to the next family. There is now a large number of charts to be found and connections can be made to all the main families I am researching. If a chart has a box with the standard background it means that as yet I have not put the Chart on the Web.
To conform to the Data Protection Act all the Charts have been altered to exclude all details for living people other than the name.

If you have comments, alterations, corrections, amendments etc. please follow the details to be found on the Home Page to contact me.


During the Battle of the Atlantic, convoy HX-25, consisting of 37 Allied ships, is making its way to Liverpool. The convoy's escort consists of the Fletcher-class destroyer USS Keeling, radio call sign "Greyhound", captained by Commander Ernest Krause (Tom Hanks) of the United States Navy the British Tribal-class destroyer HMS James, call sign "Harry" the Polish Grom-class destroyer ORP Viktor (with a Royal Navy liaison officer on the radio), call sign "Eagle" and the Canadian Flower-class corvette, HMCS Dodge, call sign "Dicky". Krause is serving as overall commander of the escort ships, but despite his seniority and extensive naval education, it is his first wartime command.

The convoy enters the "Black Pit"—the Mid-Atlantic gap where they will be out of range of protective air cover. While they are still three days away from the resumption of air cover, high-frequency direction finding from the convoy flagship results in the interception of several German transmissions, indicating the presence of U-boats. Greyhound's radar operator identifies a surfaced sub heading towards the convoy. Greyhound moves away from the convoy to intercept it based on its bearing and gets the U-boat within firing range, but the heavy seas allow the U-boat to dive before Greyhound can get a visual. After sonar contact is re-established, the submarine tries to slip under Greyhound, but Krause maneuvers his ship above the U-boat and fires a full pattern of depth charges, resulting in his first kill.

The crew's jubilation is cut short as they soon receive reports of distress rockets at the rear of the convoy. A Greek merchant ship was attacked by another U-boat and is quickly sinking. Krause moves Greyhound to assist, evading torpedoes fired at his ship with careful maneuvering. The surviving Greek sailors are rescued, and Greyhound returns to the convoy just as the bridge receives multiple messages from the other escorts: a wolfpack consisting of six U-boats is staying just out of firing range of the convoy Krause suspects they are waiting for nightfall, when the escorts will have no visibility. The attack commences that evening with five merchant ships being torpedoed and sunk. One U-boat torpedoes an oil tanker and escapes Greyhound by using an underwater decoy, tricking the crew into wasting most of their remaining depth charges. Krause chooses to rescue survivors from the burning oil tanker rather than go to the aid of the other ships first, a decision he comes to regret.

The next day, the wolf pack targets Greyhound. The captain of the lead submarine, callsign "Grey Wolf", taunts the convoy and its escorts via radio transmission, threatening to sink them all. Krause learns that Greyhound is down to six depth charges, leaving it with no effective response to an underwater attack. The U-boats launch multiple torpedo runs, which Greyhound is barely able to evade. Greyhound and Dicky combine to sink one of the U-boats in an exchange of surface broadsides. Dicky receives minor damage due to the close range of the engagement and Greyhound is hit on the port side by one of the U-boat's deck guns, which kills Krause's mess attendant, George Cleveland, and two sailors. During the funeral service, Eagle is attacked and eventually sinks. Krause, aware that doing so might expose the shoddy state of the escort fleet, elects to break radio silence by transmitting a single word, "help", to the Admiralty.

With the convoy close to reaching air cover, the remaining U-boats mount an all-out assault on the destroyers. One of the torpedoes glances off the side of Greyhound, and the other barely misses contact. After heavy fighting, Greyhound sinks Grey Wolf with a full broadside. To everyone's relief, they spot air support deployed from British RAF Coastal Command and use their guns to mark the last visible U-boat, allowing a PBY Catalina bomber to line up a depth charge attack and sink the sub. The rest of the pack quickly flees before they can be discovered.

While assessing damage, Krause receives radio contact from the head of the relief escorts, HMS Diamond, that his relief has arrived and Greyhound is due for repair and refitting in Derry alongside his two surviving companion vessels. The crew receives a "job well done" on their four U-boat kills. As Krause turns over the deck to a junior officer (his watch is officer of the deck), all present on the bridge gaze at their Captain in surprise, as they realise he hasn't left command since they entered the Black Pit 48 hours earlier, their looks turn to new-found respect. While setting the new course, passengers and crew of the remaining convoy ships cheer and send up flares to salute Greyhound's crew for their valor and victory at sea while Krause finally prays and rests.

    as Commander Ernest Krause, commanding officer of the USS Keeling, codenamed Greyhound as Lieutenant Commander Charlie Cole, Krause's executive officer as George Cleveland, Mess Attendant 2nd Class as Evelyn Frechette, Ernest's love interest as Melvin Lopez as Red Eppstein as Lieutenant Watson
  • Jake Ventimiglia as Harry Fippler [6]
  • Matt Helm as Lieutenant J. Edgar Nystrom
  • Joseph Poliquin as Lee Helmsman #1 as Homer Wallace as captain of ORP Viktor, Callsign "Eagle" as captain of HMS James, Callsign "Harry" as Signalman #1 as Boatswain's Mate #1 as Lieutenant Carling
  • Travis Przybylski as LTJG Dawson as Talker #1 as Bushnell as captain of HMCS Dodge, callsign "Dicky" as captain of Grey Wolf
  • Michael Carollo as Rico Ochoa, Forward Lookout

It was announced in September 2016 that Tom Hanks was writing a screenplay about a World War II navy destroyer. Hanks would also star in the film. [7] In February 2017, Aaron Schneider was brought on to direct, and Sony Pictures acquired the distribution rights. [8]

Pre-production photography took place in January 2018 at sea on board HMCS Montréal, a frigate of the Royal Canadian Navy. In March 2018, Stephen Graham, Elisabeth Shue, Rob Morgan, Karl Glusman, and Manuel Garcia-Rulfo were cast, and filming had commenced in Louisiana, [9] [10] [11] aboard USS Kidd in Baton Rouge. [12] [13]

Greyhound was initially scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States by Sony Pictures Releasing under its Columbia Pictures label on March 22, 2019, before being delayed to May 8, 2020 and finally June 12, 2020. [14] [15]

Like many other films, it was then removed from the release schedule in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. [16] Hanks himself had been diagnosed with COVID-19 earlier that month while filming Elvis for Warner Bros.. In May 2020, it was announced Apple TV+ had acquired distribution rights to the film for about $70 million Stage 6 Films was left as the sole Sony distributor as of the release of the film. [17] It was released digitally by the service on July 10, 2020. [18] Apple said that the film had the biggest debut weekend of any program in the platform's history, with Deadline Hollywood saying the figures were "commensurate with a summer theatrical box office big hit". [19] In November, Variety reported the film was the 24th-most watched straight-to-streaming title of 2020 up to that point. [20]

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 78% based on 223 reviews, with an average rating of 6.50/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "Greyhound ' s characters aren't as robust as its action sequences, but this fast-paced World War II thriller benefits from its efficiently economical approach." [21] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 64 out of 100, based on 37 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". [22]

Owen Gleiberman, in his review for Variety, said the film is "less a drama than a tense and sturdy diary of the logistics of battle" and "though much of the action is set in the open air of the ship's command perch, Greyhound often feels like a submarine thriller: tense, tight, boxed-in." [23] Writing for the Chicago Tribune, Michael Phillips gave the film three out of four stars and said: "Like the canine, [Greyhound is] trim, narrow of scope, and it runs efficiently and well despite a barrage of on-screen time stamps and vessel identification markers." [24]

David Ehrlich of IndieWire gave the film a "C−" and wrote: "A terse and streamlined dad movie that's shorter than a Sunday afternoon nap and just as exciting, Greyhound bobs across the screen like a nuanced character study that's been entombed in a 2,000-ton iron casket and set adrift over the Atlantic. The film offers a handful of brief hints at the tortured hero who Forester invented for his book. but the whole thing is far too preoccupied with staying afloat to profile the guy at the helm in any meaningful way." [25]

Watch the video: This housekeeper didnt know there was a camera this is what she did (June 2022).


  1. Corday

    Of course you are rights. In this something is I think that it is excellent thinking.

  2. Vujas

    aaaaaa, Martin, you're just a super megachel

  3. Ephron

    Congratulations, this brilliant thought will come in just the right place.

  4. Ager

    You were not mistaken, truly

  5. Dichali

    Brilliant phrase and timely

Write a message